[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Cuban Americans and Media Perception

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Cuban Americans and Media Perception

Babalu and 26th Parallel reader Kathleen, who just returned home from a visit to South Florida which included a stop at Cuba Nostalgia, posted a comment on one of Babalu's posts yesterday. It dealt with the media's perception of Miami Cubans.

Here is what Kathleen wrote:

Since I've returned home from South Florida I've been catching up on the news. I've noticed something, and it makes me sick. We always see the Miami Cubans referred to as the Cuban Mafia, those crazy anti-castro Cubans, etc. I assumed that this came from the liberal politics of the media. I've changed my mind. It comes from hate. The same kind of ignorant, irrational evil hate that drives the kkk, neo-nazis and others of their ilk. I'm hoping someone can convince me I'm wrong about this but I don't think so.

Kathleen, I think you're right. Many, especially other minorities, are jealous of Cuban Americans and their accomplishments. I don't like to brag, but I think we're a great American success story that deserves more credit than we've received.

To all the haters out there...notice I said "American" success story. We are proud Americans, we don't want to secede and become our own nation, as some here in Miami and elsewhere have suggested in the past.

Our politics do diverge from the average minority. So what? Does that make us deserving of the scorn we get from the media? Labels such as Miami Mafia, crazy Cubans, and hard-line fanatics used to hurt me. Now they actually embolden me. Why? Because I know deep inside the truth about Cuban Americans. I know we are fighting the good fight. I know we are average people who have families to take care of.

George Moneo publised another great post on Babalu which includes Kathleen's comments. Please check it out here.

Kathleen, thanks for understanding and supporting us. George, thanks for your wonderful words. And, by the way, let me know if you ever get to print those t-shirts you designed. I'd love to buy one for myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, I posted that comment over at Babalu after reading some newspaper articles and editorials regarding the Luis Posada Carriles detention. It seemed to me that the writers were using that story as an excuse to vent their hate and rage directed to Cuban Americans, in particular the Miami Cuban Americans. I was sickened by what I read and posted as a way of venting those feelings and hoping someone would tell me I was wrong. I had no idea I would inspire so much comment. I'm humbled by being mentioned here at your blog. Thanks

3:51 PM, May 27, 2005  
Blogger Robert said...

Kathleen, the media does have a bone to pick with us. It's unfortunate and I wish it wasn't so.

As far as Posada is concerned, I am very leery of him, as I've mentioned in previous posts. However, the US needs to do what it thinks is right with Posada and not cave in to pressure from Chavez and castro who should be the last ones to tell anyone what to do with suspected terrorists.

5:50 PM, May 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home