[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Mr. Mom and the CASS

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Mr. Mom and the CASS

Mr. Mom is the role I'll be playing at least part-time for the next several days or weeks. My wife has been placed on bed rest until she's ready to deliver the baby, which hopefully won't be for at least 2 weeks. Thankfully, mom and baby are doing fine, we're just trying to hold off the delivery as long as we can.

Working, taking care of household chores, and looking after a rambunctious 3-year-old is not an easy task. Mind you, I'm no slouch around the house, but I know I'm not as efficient or patient with tasks as my wife is. I admire the strength that mothers have to be able to juggle 3 or 4 different things at the same time (I guess it's called multitasking). These are times when I truly appreciate the great support system I call the CASS (Cuban American Support System). Sometimes this is taken for granted, but definitely not now.

For those not familiar, the CASS works as sort of a rotating system of visits where relatives help out with chores or bring dinner. Usually one relative stays at the house (my mother-in-law in this case), the other abuelos come one night, other relatives the next night, and so on. Of course, the rotating system sometimes doesn't quite work the way it should and you end up with 20 people in the house at the same time. That's OK, it's the company and the help that's appreciated. It's times like these when families come closer together and relationships are strengthened.

As I mentioned in a previous post, blogging will probably not be as frequent as usual, but that's OK. There's another "support system" out there which I will unofficially call the Cuban American Blog Network. Val, George, Songuacassal, Juan, Amanda and Brandon, and others that I'm sure I've missed will keep us informed of the latest in Cuba and other Cuba-related things.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, good luck on the home strech.. when my wife was on hers, just before the delivery, i had the same situation with a 3 year old girl, who wanted to help as much as she could playing mommy.. she was more than helpfum running to the "mercadinho" to appease mommys requests for all sorts of bizzare food requests, cold hotdogs with picole (a frozen pop) and "liquid" razpadinhos (granizados, with the ice melted)

11:46 AM, June 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home