[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Love Letters

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Love Letters

A badge of honor amongst bloggers is the occassional critical or downright insulting e-mails and comments we get from dissenting readers.

Since I started this blog over 3 months ago, I had yet to receive a single critical or even mildly insulting comment or e-mail. Perhaps it's my tendency to not use inflammatory language in my posts, or the lack of heavy traffic to the blog.

I'll be honest. I've been waiting with anticipation for my first one to arrive.

Today, July 14th, 26th Parallel received its first merit badge.

Last night at 12:14 AM EDT, I received my first critical comment. It was from Alexis, who posted a comment to my "Idiot of the Day" post about the Naples Rugby Team's match in Havana against the Cuban National Team.

Here's what Alexis posted, in Spanish:

robert. sos un idiota, me majino (sic) que nunca fuiste a cuba. pero tipico de los cubanos en miami hablan mierda de cuba y su gobierno. si te hace sentir mejor te cuento que la gente en cuba no se mueren por el ultimo modelo de auto y proximo juego de play station 2, ellos valoran otras cosas como la educacion, familia, cultura, y comunidad. Y no se quejan de como otros paises y gobiernos se manejan si mismo.tampoco ahi gente viviendo en la calles o gente muriendo se de hambre, eso si se ve en eeuu. y con toda la oportunidad que pensas que tenes en eeuu y no en cuba, debedias educar a los cubanos en miami por que son la gente mas ignorante y estupida que he conocido en mi vida. (y no es genetico ya que los cubanos de verdad son muy listos y educados)

For those who don't understand Spanish, Alexis called me an idiot (alright!), and goes on a brief anti-U.S. rant, criticism our materialism, poverty, and homelessness and praising Cuba for placing value in education, family, culture, and community. He saves his best for Miami Cubans, calling us the "most ignorant and stupid people" he's ever met.

Of course, Alexis didn't leave an e-mail, so he'll have to check back to see my response.

Gracias Alexis. Del alma.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tremenda Trigueña said...

Wow...that was freakin' great! Funny how the Cubanos I have met from Miami are some of the most educated, sucessful, and politically savvy people in this country...so I'll save the ghetto talk for me...why you gotta hate Alexis?
**Alexis..es obvio que los comunistas te han lavado el coco y que tú nunca has tenido que vivir en esa clase de pobreza. Los que no critican al gobierno castrista siempre vienen de la alta clase.

7:00 PM, July 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, as one who understands Spanish I had a hard time reading Alexis'a comment. No se si él esta sufriendo de estupides o de pura comemierderia, pero es claro que no sabe como escribir en Esp. Granted he can spell Idiota, yet in the end it only describes himself.

8:52 PM, July 14, 2005  
Blogger Robert said...

George, TT, Songucassal,

Thanks for the comments.

It's both funny and sad at the same time that Alexis' comments and those of other comunista fidel ass-kissers sound exactly the same.
It's like there's a stock paragraph out there that these mindless people like to employ.

9:34 PM, July 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Im like the protective blogfather, so, as my real old man taught me once when the neighborhood big guys were picking on me (he actually made me go back to do this):

Pick up the nearest clue-by-four and swing away without hesitation.

If you get the same results that I did with the hood hooligans and the real 2X$, then they'll walk on the other side of the street as they go by.

8:36 PM, July 15, 2005  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks Blogdad. I've learned from you and the others at Babalu how to defend myself from the red goons out there.

I see this as a sign that the blog is entering adolescence.

Acne is next.

10:45 PM, July 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home