[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Post-Katrina Mess (UPDATED)

Friday, August 26, 2005

Post-Katrina Mess (UPDATED)

I lost power literally minutes after my last update yesterday evening (unfortunately my gut feeling was right). I'm still without power or telephone service at home, so I am sending this quick update from work.

It was a quite impressive show last night. Hurricane force winds and 10 inches of rain buffetted 26th Parallel headquarters. My mango tree tipped over (oh no!), banana trees are shredded, and leaves and branches are everywhere, including my pool which is a total mess right now and on the verge of overflowing.

Other than that, no structural damage which is really what counts. All things considered, we were pretty lucky. The eye did make a southward shift, passing very close to my house. But imagine if it would have been a 100 or 120 mph storm instead of an 80 mph storm.

And yes I agree with Val, hurricanes do suck.

UPDATED 9:35 PM - I got my power back late in the afternoon, very fortunate to only have one night without power and AC. Still don't have phone service, and our cell phones are getting very poor reception (thank you Sprint).

I'm absolutely exhausted after a stressful week, and I have to work all weekend.

I can't complain though, I have it better than a lot of people in Miami right now.

Here's hoping everyone gets their power back very soon. In the meantime, I'll try to keep everyone informed and entertained here and over at Babalu.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Robert, you are in my thoughts, hope it gets better soon.

A.M.Mora y Leon

12:46 AM, August 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things are starting to return to normal, but I don't know how I can live through these things and keep on staying in Miami. I always swear I am gonna move, asap, but don't.

1:16 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger AmandaDufau said...

Glad to here you all are okay. We were also lucky, only lacking power one night. Take your time with the clean-up, I say. Can't do much with this little rain showers we keep getting from the remaining feeder bands...

1:25 PM, August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home