[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Slowly But Surely

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Slowly But Surely

Things are slowly coming back to normal after Wilma, but there's still a ways to go. I got my power back early this evening. The downed power lines about 5 blocks from my house gave me the impression that I'd be without power for about a week, so I am thankful to say the least (good job FPL). I lost some roof shingles, a large palm tree, and part of my fence, but other than that the house did just fine.

Now I could definitely use a day off from work (10 days in a row and counting), but I guess that won't be coming for another couple of days. The cool weather Wilma left us with is much appreciated, although taking a cold shower in the morning when it's 54 degrees outside isn't much fun.

Things like hurricanes and being without electricity really put things into perspective. All of a sudden, the World Series doesn't seem like such a big deal - I missed the first 3 games either getting ready for the storm, working, or being without power. The routine daily things mean so much more: not having to carry a flashlight to the shower, warm meals, working traffic lights, kind neighbors...you get the idea.

I'll have more to say about the storm and our reaction to it, but in the meantime, something's out there wanting to get my attention. It wants to be called Beta.

1 Comments:

Blogger AmandaDufau said...

Glad to hear you are all well.

8:06 AM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home