[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Versailles Restaurant

Monday, October 17, 2005

Versailles Restaurant

Every Cuban in Miami (and likely outside Miami) is quite familiar with Versailles Restaurant (review courtesy of 3 Guys from Miami) on Calle Ocho on the western edge of Little Havana.

About 2-3 times a year, I manage to drag the family over there for dinner, usually on Sundays. Yesterday was one of those times. I'll refer you to the 3 Guys site for a full review and description, but one thing they mention is so true: you do feel proud of being Cuban after eating there.

The service is rather informal, but friendly and warm in a typically Cuban way. For example, the server immediately suggested we put my baby daughter Amanda's infant seat on a high chair instead of on the seats of two chairs which I had put together to accommodate the seat. He said he'd be constantly worried about me knocking it over.

The place is always full of families, often 3 generations of relatives sitting at the same table like ours was. You also have your share of tourists, I always see at least a couple of tables full of out-of-towners on every visit.

The food was very good, although the sopa de platano (plantain soup) was initially lukewarm, they warmed it up quickly for us. My oldest daughter's Chicken Fingers (from the kids menu) were initially overcooked, but again they corrected the problem. There are few things better than a homey Cuban meal, and Bistec Empanizado (breaded steak) with moros and fried plantains fit the bill.

Of course, no meal at Versailles would be complete without dessert, and my wife got the natilla (custard pudding). We skipped on the cafesito only because we followed dinner with a visit to my wife's uncle's house where he made us some of his homemade stuff.

Hope you all liked my pathetic attempt at food reviewing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Henry Louis Gomez said...

The bistec a la milanesa at Versailles is awesome. Best in the city.

12:37 AM, October 19, 2005  
Blogger vbspurs said...

The bistec a la milanesa at Versailles is awesome. Best in the city.

I have to second this nomination.

Also the best cafe con leche in Miami, seeing as how La Carreta's is a touch too watery.

Coincidentally, when I mentioned Starbucks recently, one of my commenters (also a reader of Babulublog) invited me to a cafecito at Versailles. In a media-noche sandwich minute!

BTW, nice blog, Robert.

Greetings from la inglesita mas cubanita del Blogosphere.

Cheers,
Victoria

10:25 PM, October 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home