[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Bloggers and Anonymity

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Bloggers and Anonymity

Most bloggers post anonymously or at least semi-anonymous. This is for a variety of reasons, central of which is the issue of privacy. Another issue is how our blogging might affect our perception and work in the public arena, i.e., our jobs.

I am careful about not identifying myself clearly on the blog, not because I don't want people to know who I am, but because of potential privacy issues, and for the protection of my family.
However, it's not too hard to make the connection with me due to my involvement with Babalu Blog where "the cat's been let out of the bag". I have no problem with that.

Our fellow Miami blogger Alesh from Critical Miami had to deal with an unfortunate situation when he was recently turned down for a job at the Miami Performing Arts Center (PAC) due to some blog entries he had submitted about the PAC. I personally feel that the posts he put up, although somewhat critical of the project in some instances, shouldn't have turned off his potential employers. It also illustrates the reason why so many bloggers remain anonymous, but this definitely not a criticism of Alesh or any other blogger who decides to reveal his/her identity.

Best of luck with Alesh with future job searches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home