[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Genocide in Cuba

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Genocide in Cuba

As a long-time subscriber to National Geographic magazine, I always look forward to each edition in the mail. I have always been fascinated by the stories on different cultures and places, and the pictures of course are always top notch. Sometimes I don't agree with the political leanings which some of their stories take, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying most of their work.

In this month's edition, one of the stories is about genocide. I know, not exactly a pleasant topic. As I was reading through the article the other day, I came upon a graph which illustrated numbers of people killed in mass murders and genocide throught the world. The numbers, provided by the Strassler Family for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, showed China with 30 million, the USSR with 20 million, Germany and Japan with 11 million, Pakistan with 3 million, Iraq with 240,000, all the way down to Burma with 5,000.

Where's Cuba?

That's what I asked myself after reading the graph. We've all heard and read all about castro's executions in the Paredon, the beatings, the downing of boats leaving Cuba, and the numbers of dead reported to be in the thousands.

So why aren't Cuba's numbers included?

Maybe because not all the killings in Cuba can be attributed purely to genocide, at least in its strict definition. I'm not going to blame this one on liberally-skewed politics, although that can never be totally counted out. Let's just chalk it up to lack of information and knowledge, as simplistic and naive as it may sound.

Fortunately, someone out there in the MSM knows. Furthermore, there is a hard-working group that is going through the tough task of counting the dead in order to reveal to the world the evil that has had its grasp on Cuba for so many years now.

That group is the Cuba Archives. Go there and give them your support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home