[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: I'll Believe It When I See It

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'll Believe It When I See It

Everyone in the Cuban blogosphere is commenting on Ramon Saul Sanchez's ending of his hunger strike due to the White House agreeing to meet with Cuban-American groups to try to resolve the wet foot/dry foot issue.

Here's my brief take: I really hope that the meeting will bring about positive, long-lasting changes to U.S. - Cuba immigration policies. In other words, end wet foot/dry foot. On the other hand, my hopes are somewhat tempered by the possibilities that could arise as a result of suspending the policy - namely a mass and uncontrolled influx of Cubans which could result in chaos on both sides of the Straits of Florida.

One can hope that a fair, controlled process would take the place of the current policy. Of course, this won't stop Cubans from risking their lives to get here. So we need to find a way to handle those people.

I say, let them in.

What I think will end up happening is that the White House and Cuban-American groups will settle on granting Cubans intercepted at sea more rights such as attorneys in order to justify their reasons for coming. The wet foot/dry foot will not be repealed. I'll be shocked if they ditch the policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home