[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: The "Other" Immigrants

Monday, May 01, 2006

The "Other" Immigrants

On this day, May 1st, A Day Without Immigrants, I thought I'd reflect a bit on the whole controversy.

First of all, I really didn't notice the big impact that the boycott was supposed to make. Yes, AM traffic was lighter, but more reminiscent of a summer weekday than a weekend or holiday. Other than that, it was a normal day. Fedex and USPS made their normal rounds; I picked up lunch at Chicken Kitchen; my wife shopped at Publix; and the cleaning crew arrived at work around 4 PM as usual.

As much as I sympathize with those immigrants who come here for a better life and to bring up their children in a better environment, a big part of me has to wonder what the purpose of today's boycott is. If it's to make a statement, OK fine. They've already gotten the attention of lawmakers.

However, what statement have they made? Well, if we go back to the first protests where an unfortunate minority changed anti-American slogans, flew American flags upside down and wore Che t-shirts; then the VERY bad decision to record a Spanish version of the National Anthem; followed by today's boycott on May Day of all days, I would say they have lost a lot of people who would have otherwise been sympathetic to their cause. They pretty much lost me even though I think a lot of their complaints are valid.

The past few days I couldn't help but think about the group of immigrants that has largely been overlooked in this saga.

No, not the Cubans.

I'm talking about LEGAL immigrants.

How would they feel seeing all these undocumented immigrants (who willingly came to this country illegally) skipping work and protesting for rights when they themselves had to go through the long and arduous process to gain legal status and eventually become citizens? How would they feel about some of these people who basically want a free ride to citizenship when they had to bust their butts?

Go over to Sundries and take a look for yourself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I saw a couple different interviews of legal immigrants on the evening news who were there "in support of their brothers and sisters."

It's a very complex issue.

9:32 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger vbspurs said...

Thanks for the linkback to my blogpost about "My Immigration Experience", Robert. :)

To answer your question in person, I suppose what I feel, when I see people who have and continue to circumvent the process I went through, is a great sadness for all who wait patiently...still in those queues.

Still hoping. Still praying. Still trying to do the right thing.

I am not bitter about illegals. But I am sad for the ones who get hosed not by governments, but by their fellow immigrants.

You expect the former. But not the latter.

Cheers,
Victoria

9:33 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home