[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Is the Herald Anti-Cuban?

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Is the Herald Anti-Cuban?

The latest involving the Marti Moonlighters case, and subsequent comments left on several blogs, have brought out an opinion that appears to be gaining some steam: The Miami Herald is anti-Cuban-American.

I've been reading the Herald for a long time, so I think I'm qualified enough to make a reasonably educated opinion on this. I do NOT think the Herald has a systematic bias against Cuban-Americans.

I know this opinion isn't popular amongst many of my esteemed Cuban-American cohorts. I may be accused of being naive (that's OK, I can think of worse things to be called). I might even be accused of being on the inside with the Herald. Before I continue, let me say that the Herald is a below-average paper. It's been going downhill faster than an 18-wheeler without breaks going down Mount Everest. In short, it's crappy. But it's the best we got in this town, sad to say, so we have to put up with it whether we like it or not.

By systematic bias, I mean something that has become institutionalized from the top down, at the Herald. I don't see it. To those skeptics out there, remember that last year when Jim DeFede got fired, many people were accusing the Herald of bowing to pressure from the "Miami Mafia". Have they pulled a reverse on us? I doubt it.

This past year, they have published several editorials, two of which can be found here and here, which have been very critical of the Cuban regime, much more critical than what you would find in 95% of American MSM outlets. Does this exonerate them when they publish bad stories about Cuban-Americans. Absolutely not. But it does put this issue in some perspective. Another perspective to consider: two of the top people of both editions of the Herald, Jesus Diaz and Humberto Castello, are on the advisory board for the Cuba Transition Project, an influential organization which is funded via a grant by a U.S. government agency and can hardly be considered sympathetic to the castro regime.

I do believe that several reporters, and most definitely several of their columnists, have an anti-Cuban-American (read: right-wing Cuban Americans) slant. I think we can agree on that. But does that automatically implicate the organization? How about the Herald's parent company...are they anti-Cuban-American?

I don't know, but we need to make sure we have our ducks in a row if we're going to make that accusation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Henry Louis Gomez said...

Great post.

I think there are certainly individuals (reporters, columnists, editors) that have an axe to grind and I think they outnumber the ones that are friendlier to our plight. I don't know enough about McClatchy yet to comment on them. But I can tell you that it smells like there is an internal schism between the two Herald papers. At El Nuevo there are fewer anti-Cuban individuals and the "friendlies" have come into conflict with the anti-Cubans and the self promoting agent provocateurs like Oscar Corral.

2:16 AM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Val Prieto said...

It smells like the Herald is vying for a bureau in Havana is what it smells like and we all know the requirements for that.

Time will tell.

7:19 AM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Robert said...

I don't know George. While the Herald has certainly had its share of anti-Cuban reporters and columnists, I don't think it extends as far as the Herald's top brass. That's what I meant as systematic bias (or lack thereof).

Is McClatchy? I left that question open at the end of the post. Don't know enough about them, but perhaps you're right Val, their intent may be to open up a Havana bureau. Perhaps they're the ones pulling the strings here.

8:49 AM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Val Prieto said...

Herald top brass categorically deny the the Miami Herald is intent on opening a Havana bureau, as reported at Herald Watch this morning. However, the herald is but a cog in the works of McClatchy and perhaps it is McClatchy that is pulling the havana bureau strings.

I received an email from a good source that last wednesday, i believe, there was some major "discussions" at herald offices between herald big wigs and their McClatchy overlords. The debate, im told, was heated and to the point of chairs and desks being pushed around.

Like I said, time will tell.

8:59 AM, September 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home