[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Coming Down on Tancredo

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Coming Down on Tancredo

In light of Rep. Tom Tancredo's recent categorization of Miami as a third-world country has triggered some strong responses, not only by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, but also by Governor Jeb Bush and especially by Miami-Dade Beacon Council President Frank Nero.

You can read Jeb Bush's letter to Tancredo here. Well done by the guvna.

Nero's letter was even better. Please take the time to read it here. I can't agree more with what Mr. Nero wrote.

Here's a snippet from Mr. Nero's letter:
Miami is fortunate that we will continue to move forward with our leaders to capitalize on the realities of the 21st century world, while people like you will become the relics of bigotry and ignorance.
Then again, I'm an unapologetic and pedestrian homer, so what do I know?

It's good to see people in this community put down their sarcasm and cynicism for a second and join to rebuke Tancredo. I did mention yesterday, however, that there are plenty in this community that agreed wholeheartedly with Tancredo's assessment of Miami.

Those people are not hard to find. In fact, the following editorial cartoon by the Herald's Jim Morin was from August 31st of this year:


Cartoon courtesy of Stuck on the Palmetto.

4 Comments:

Blogger NicFitKid said...

Jonathan made me LOL with:

100 years ago Tancredo would have been complaining about Jews and Italians.

Which is pretty damn funny, seeing as how Tancredo is of Italian descent.

6:44 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Henry Louis Gomez said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jim Morin has been making his living (and I'm sure it's not a shabby one) in this third world class city for quite some time.

Maybe he should leave it offends his sensibilities so much. I'd be willing to take up a collection for his airfare to Denver so he can live in Tancredo's utopia.

10:50 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Adam said...

While I believe that Tancredo meant it in the worst way, the term "third-world" has different connotations for different people. In the sense that Miami is plagued by corruption, has a great climate including palm trees, the downtown is full of cheap electronics, luggage and shoes, and people drive poorly here. It does resemble some third world (in the sense that they are not NATO or Warsaw pact) countries.

I enjoy these aspects of miami quite a bit (aside from the corruption and driving), as well as the diversity of cultures and classes. If I wanted to live in a boring generic american city I would move to palm beach. I celebrate the fact that miami is truly different than every other city in america--call it what you will.

11:28 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Adam said...

also, if anyone is interested in an interesting take on the corruption in Miami I suggest watching the recently released "Cocaine Cowboys" documentary, which makes the case that the city Miami was built almost entirely on cocaine money and corruption.

7:51 PM, December 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home