[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: The Art of Communicating

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Art of Communicating

At a recent week-long training workshop I attended, one of the days was spent discussing communication. Communication of all sorts: with co-workers, media, e-mail, etc.

They forgot to cover blogs. Like any other interactive medium, the blogosphere is full of lessons we can learn regarding communication and getting our point across effectively.

The title of a recent Herald Watch post is: "Yes, Herald, Words Matter". I agree. I'll also take it a step further.

It's not necessarily what words you use, it's how you use them.

That may sound cliché, but as many clichés are, it's spot on.

When speaking to others, we intepret the true meaning of one's words mainly through body language. We don't have the ability to read body language through blogs, but we can pick up someone's true feelings through the words one uses and how they are used. Our feelings pretty much replace our body language when communicating via print or electronic media.

All this may sound obvious enough, but how many of us are conscious of this when we blog? I don't know how many times I've read something that I totally disagree with, yet walk away feeling like perhaps I've learned something useful. Conversely, how many times have I read something that I may not totally disagree with, but the way it's written leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Of course, a dissenting post written in a foul manner is the worst of all worlds. These last two examples describe my experience with Herald columnist Ana Menendez to a tee.

I try to remind myself of the art of communicating effectively every time I post something. Sometimes, bad feelings get the better of me and I end up writing something which reflects my bad mood. Still, we need to fess up to the fact that most people who read blogs react not necessarily to the content, but to the way it's presented. Therefore, if you're going to post something while in a bad mood or upset about something/someone...be careful how you express yourself. If you're careless, you may not get your point across the way you intended.

At least that's what I say to the bathroom mirror every morning.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home