[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Varela No Hero

Friday, December 01, 2006

Varela No Hero

Now that the dust has settled a bit on Jose Varela's storming of the El Nuevo Herald newsroom, it's a good time to see what impacts his actions have made on the paper and the community.

- First, while one can definitely sympathize with Varela's disgust at his employer, the way he did it was totally wrong. This is something I think most of us can agree on, as Ileana Varela (any relation to Jose? Probably not) points out in this CBS-4 report and video. Let's not confuse "celebrity status" with approval of the methods used to make his point, although I'm not particularly on board with granting Varela celebrity status, and I definitely won't anoint him as a "hero for the cause". I think all this has as much to do with Varela's personal problems as it does with a Herald versus Cuban community issue.

- Second, what has been the impact? Has the Herald modified its stance? I don't know, but if this from Herald Watch is any indication, the answer is obviously no.

This is all very unfortunate since I enjoyed most of Varela's work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Henry Louis Gomez said...

While I did not see it, my mom tells me that he appeared on Polos Opuestos (mega TV) the other day and that the guy is certifiably nuts. It's not a matter of whether he had a message and whether that message was correct but rather how this guy can get some help before he hurts himself or someone else.

11:07 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Robert said...

I saw part of that show and yes, it was painful to watch and listen to Varela. He was incoherent most of the time, and it didn't help that Maria Elvira had no clue on how to ask the right question to get him back on track.

3:02 PM, December 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home