[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Suburban Wildlife

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Suburban Wildlife

Want to see a little more of nature but don't have the time to visit the Everglades on a regular basis?

Then do what I did recently. I put up a bird feeder in my backyard.

I'm fortunate enough that although I live in the suburbs, I get to see a decent share of birds, squirrels and other animals from the comforts of my air-conditioned family room. Since I put up the bird feeder on a branch of my Orange Jessamine tree which sits within view of my kitchen, the wildlife have been flocking to it.

So far, the only birds I've seen enjoying the bird food have been pigeons and bluejays. Perhaps I need to change the bird feed to see if I can attract a greater variety of our avian friends.

Here are some pics taken from the kitchen window:





Here's a picture of an unlikely visitor to the bird feeder, in sequence.






It took about 10 minutes for the squirrel to figure out how to get onto the bird feeder. Perseverance pays!

The kids absolutely love the frequent visitors to the bird feeder, and it definitely adds a nice, calming touch to the daily grind. I highly recommend everyone put up a bird house or feeder to the yard.

It's true what they say about the little things in life.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home