[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Get In Line, Mr. President

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Get In Line, Mr. President

fidel castro is back in the news, admonishing President Bush for letting people in developing nations go hungry (say what you want about the bearded one, but the guy does have a sense of humor, doesn't he?), as well as boldly stating that "ideas are not killed" even after his passing.

The money quote, however, was the headline to the below article.

(CBS4) HAVANA "President Bush is waiting for me to die."

That's the word from Cuban President Fidel Castro in a statement published Tuesday on the front page of the Communist Party daily Granma.

In his essay, the 80-year-old Cuban leader stated Bush has also "ordered" Castro" to be deprived of life", but didn't offer any details.

While current law prohibits the U.S. government from ordering the assassination of foreign leaders, recently declassified documents show that the CIA made numerous attempts to kill Castro in the early years after the 1959 Cuban revolution.

"Ideas are not killed," Castro wrote.

Castro then went on to criticize the Bush administration for spending money on weaponry while people in developing nations go hungry.

Tuesday's statement was the latest in a series of essays by Castro, who has not been seen in public since becoming ill more than ten months ago.

jm/ap

News to fidel: the line waiting for you to die is already snaking around all of Miami-Dade County, parts of Broward County, as well as other parts of the country and free world.

As they say in Little Havana, ponte en cola.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger La Ventanita said...

your headline was my comment when I read the story

1:08 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

you know, Rob, I am disappointed in you, in that you had tons of posts on Cuban Independence Day but nothing on Memorial Day. As the son of a Cuban-American Vietnam Vet who served honorably, I would have thought it would not have passed without a mention in your blog.

3:44 PM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Robert said...

Tim,

I regret not posting something this past Memorial Day...as you know things get pretty hectic for me right around late May (note the lack of posts recently).

Many times I use this blog to express my inner feelings, and sometimes I just want to take a break and spend time with my family. Memorial Day was one of those days. I'm sure you know my personal feelings on not only Memorial Day but on what our Armed Services represents.

Do a search up at the top left of the page and you'll see a reference to my dad's service on this blog on several occasions. I would do more, but some things I like to keep close.

Here are two posts that I have posted on Memorial Day before that you can check out. Go to May 28 and May 30, 2005.

7:59 PM, June 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home