[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: More on the Gomez Kids

Saturday, August 04, 2007

More on the Gomez Kids

Ana Veciana-Suarez opines on the Gomez immigration tangle both in the Herald and on her blog.

I agree with her about the DREAM Act. It should be passed. Why not? Children of illegals aren't to blame for their parents' lack of responsibility. If they earn citizenship either through going to college or serving in the military, it's good enough for me. Maybe I'm too much of a softie, but I agree with Ziva's comment in the post below that if we're going to err, let's err on the side of the kids here.

I don't understand, however, why Veciana-Suarez had to say that there's an anti-immigrant sentiment. I don't how many times I need to say this, but I'll say it over and over again...

It's anti-ILLEGAL immigration, Ana!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger John the Scientist said...

To me it's an issue of resources. Why would we waste all that human capital our education tax dollars went into molding? Most of those kids, if sent back after attending high shcool here, would not have the skills to thrive in their homeland. If we can make something of them by seeing that they pass minimum requirements such as SPEAKING ENGLISH, and then go on to useful places in society, then let's do it. But let's also cut off the source of future lost kids by sealing the borders.

My wife is a former illegal who benefitted from the 1986 amnesty. Even she opposes further amnesty because there is no stick behind that carrot.

But she does sympathize with kids who, like her, were dragged here by their parents at an early age and then lost in the cracks. She earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry - imagine the waste of that talent if she had been denied access to higher education.

11:47 AM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger La Ventanita said...

The only problem I have with the DreamAct is what do they do after they graduate?

1:43 PM, August 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home