[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: This Could Be It

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

This Could Be It

Anyone who has followed this blog for any length of time will recognize that I am not one to fall into the "fidel is Dead" trap that has gotten us so many times in the past. You know...those rumors that surface about every 9-12 months? I also firmly believe that he is still alive. Does anyone out there think that a Cuban - even a communist Cuban - can hold a secret such as "fidel is dead" for this long?

However, recent stories (not published in any of our local newspapers) being mentioned on South Florida TV and web sites indicate that fidel may very well be on his death bed. I first heard this last week via a quote from fidel's daughter niece Mariela (thanks for catching that Lori...it was a typo on my part) who suggested in a roundabout manner that the end was near for her father.

This could very well be yet another false rumor. Nevertheless, one of these days, it will come true.

As luck would have it...if these are indeed fidel's last days on this earth, I'll be watching the reaction and festivities from over 1,000 miles away in our nation's heartland where I'm currently typing this while away on business. All the years of anticipation, and I have to be by myself in Missouri when IT happens?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jewbana said...

Robert,

Maybe you'll be back before they announce it. I think they're gonna wait until he stinks a little more.

11:34 PM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Jewbana. They will delay announcing his death, so I think you may just get back on time.

BTW Mariela is Fidel Castro's niece, Raul's daughter.

12:48 PM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks for catching that, Lori. It was late when I wrote the post!

I won't be back for another week, so they better have him on ice or the stink will be unbearable!

9:19 PM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger circuitmouse said...

They may very well delay the official announcement of his death, but everyone will know when they discreetly mobilize the Army and increase their patrols of the Florida Straits. When I was a kid I wondered if there was a disney animatron of him stashed away somewhere for 'the day it happens.' What I'm most more worried about is what will happen on the island for the next x number of generations it will take to undo what he's done. I'm not the only one whose had the nightmare of La Habana turning into a Mogadishu.

5:50 PM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home