[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Burying One of Our Own

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Burying One of Our Own

I regret missing the opportunity to post this earlier, but last week in Miami funeral services were held for U.S. Army Pfc Marius (Mario) Ferrero, 23, who died in Iraq on November 18. I realize Mario's death is no more or less significant than all the others who have died while serving our country. I also realize that I have failed to post about other young men and women from South Florida who have perished. This has nothing to do with my feelings on the war in Iraq or any other place where our men and women are serving.

My choosing to post about Mario's funeral doesn't have that much to do with the fact that he's Cuban-American, although it does hit home a little more for me.

Actually, it was this quote from his brother Manny that inspired me to post this:
''Our family would just like for everyone to remember Marius for the brave soldier that he was, for the fact that he died in honor for this country and for you and me to be able to have this freedom which we take for granted each and every day of our lives,'' Manny Ferrero wrote.
Simple, but powerful. In the end, no matter how you feel about the war in Iraq, Manny's quote speaks for the cause our brave soldiers are fighting for.

You can see a slide show of the funeral here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home