[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Wait and See

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wait and See

The upcoming race U.S. Congress race between incumbent (R) Lincoln Diaz-Balart and (D) Raul Martinez will be a time when Cuban-Americans will finally be able to express themselves without the specter of fidel looming over. We have two high-profile anti-fidel, pro-embargo candidates; one a long-time representative of the establishment and the other a popular mayor of the most Cuban city in the United States. castro and Cuba won't be an issue because they're both cut from the same cloth.

For once and for all, Cuban-Americans will have the opportunity to unleash their inner Democrat and vote for the things they really believe in (pro-immigrant, pro-science and pro-social programs). Lincoln Diaz-Balart is in for it.

At least that's what Ana Menendez thinks and prays might happen.

I won't offer my opinion and analysis of the race right now. Let's just wait and see what happens in November 2008 and the values Cuban-Americans hold close to their hearts.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lost me at Ana Menendez...

9:09 PM, January 23, 2008  
Blogger Jose Aguirre said...

castro and Cuba won't be an issue because they're both cut from the same cloth.

Diaz-Balart and Martinez??? I don't think so!

12:13 AM, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Robert, your mistake lies in assuming that people on the Internet understand subtlety, irony or dry humor.

Here, let me rewrite your post for you:
----------------
Lincoln Diaz-Balart OK.

Raul Martinez not so OK.

Ana Menendez dumb.

The End

12:40 PM, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks Jonathan for condensing my post into nice sound bytes that everyone can understand.

George, that's why I mentioned her at the end of the post. See, I'm getting the hang of you guys.

thecardinal,

In the immortal words of Mr. Rocky Balboa in Rocky III, "Go for it".
Just kidding, but we know you really love Ana!

12:48 PM, January 24, 2008  
Blogger theCardinal said...

Robert - them is fighting words! Not the Rocky quote but the Ana reference. Then again if there truly is a thin line between love and hate she must be my soul mate.

My Ana Menendez Moment: Saw her from a distance at Books and Books once, before I had a chance to have myself exiled from my favorite bookstore I was distracted by the entrance of Steven Bauer...very surreal.

7:59 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger MadHatter said...

On another note...

Do you know about the movie "The Shootdown"? (http://www.theshootdown.com)

It's about the downing of the Brother's to the Rescue planes by the Castro dictatorship in 1996. It's written and directed by the sister of one of the pilots that were killed.

I'm surprised that you wouldn't know about it or not mention it in the blog.

The film opens this weekend and the theaters that are showing it are listed at the website. Please consider a post about this as I think it's very important that we support the movie and the message behind it.

Thanks.

11:28 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

Mad Hatter,

Thanks for the comment. I have been remiss in not posting about the movie recently, although it was covered in Babalu where I contribute from time to time.

However, I did write a post about the Miami screening way back in 2006 here.

12:08 PM, January 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home