[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Still Stupid The Second Time

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Still Stupid The Second Time

In a comment to my previous post regarding Michelle Obama's "for the first time in my adult life I'm proud of my country" remark, Rick challenges me to post on her explanation behind the statement.

OK. I'll play along.

Here's the article Rick provided:
Michelle Obama Clarifies "Proud" Remark

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — The wife of Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama sought Wednesday to clarify her comment that for the first time she's really proud of her country.

On Monday, Michelle Obama told an audience in Milwaukee that "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country. Not just because Barack is doing well, but I think people are hungry for change." Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential contender John McCain, later sought to capitalize on the remark, saying "I have, and always will be, proud of my country."

Asked by WJAR-TV if she would like to clarify her comment, Obama replied that she has been struck by the number of people going to rallies and watching debates, as well as record voter turnouts.

"What I was clearly talking about was that I'm proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process," she said.

"For the first time in my lifetime, I'm seeing people rolling up their sleeves in a way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out — and that's the source of pride that I was talking about," she added.

When asked if she had always been proud of her country, she replied "absolutely" and said she and her husband would not be where they are now if not for the opportunities of America.

Obama himself gave a similar explanation during an interview Tuesday with WOAI radio in San Antonio, Texas. Expressing frustration that his wife's remarks had been taken out of context and turned into political fodder, the Illinois senator said, "What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America, because she's pretty cynical about the political process, and with good reason, and she's not alone. But she has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged."

Michelle Obama was campaigning in Rhode Island two weeks before the state's March 4 primary. She planned a rally later with her brother, Craig Robinson, the coach of the Brown University men's basketball team.

Sorry. That was lame. Just as Barbara Bush's comments regarding Katrina victims being better off in Texas were stupid, this one is right up there. They can spin this until they get dizzy, but you really have to be an Obama fan-boy/girl to buy her and Barack's clarification. I've been around the block enough to know that when you have to clarify something you said the day before, there's a high likelihood you stepped in it, and big time. Not good for a potential First Lady and Prez. Michelle Obama meant what she said the first time, and that's just something Democrats are going to have to live with.

Not that they would particularly mind, of course.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, why are you giving this asshole any airtime? Let him comment on Daily Kos or Huffington's Post with his fellow moonbats. He soils your blog by his mere presence.

11:20 PM, February 20, 2008  
Blogger Freiheit said...

George,

Great how you revert to name calling...Isn't the whole idea of blogging to be able to voice our opinions and use our right for free speech! Oh yes, I get it, as long as it is in line with your opinion then its all fine and good. How's that working for you?

It's a wonder why you have not had a heart attack yet?!

4:26 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Rick said...

freiheit- sounds like you are bigoted towards all Cuban-Americans. Shame on you.

.

6:13 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Freiheit said...

Rick,

I am ever so curious as to how you ended up with that conclusion from my previous post??? Please elaborate, really I am very interested... Shame on me? Shame on you for judging me on something you have really no information on... I think you should rethink your posts before you respond in anger.

By the way you are assuming many things, the most obvious assumption that I responded knowing that George is a Cuban-American, which I didn't even know, nor do I think has any weight on my previous post. Maybe it is you that automatically brings up race/ethnicity cards...??

6:39 AM, February 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freiheit, I don't know you. You can say whatever you want. I could care less. Rick is another matter. He's a bad case of mange any way you slice it.

7:19 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Rick said...

Freiheit: obviously you don't visit here very often. It was a joke. As soon as you criticize Moneo, he pulls the race card.

Sheesh.

7:40 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Ms Calabaza said...

"Robert, why are you giving this asshole any airtime? Let him comment on Daily Kos or Huffington's Post with his fellow moonbats. He soils your blog by his mere presence."
George

Uhm, lessee, maybe he doesn't want his blog to be an echo chamber like you've turned Babalu? Just a thought.

7:56 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Rick said...

Getting back to the issue, I'll repeat that it was a stupid thing for her to say. It isn't the last stupid thing that will be said on either side of the aisle during this campaign.

If you are a conservative and believe that Obama is on his way to bringing Marxism to America, of course you're going to jump on this comment and shout, "See, I told you so!" This is going to go on for the next 9 months. But then, I am pointing out the obvious, right?

.

8:07 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger nonee moose said...

...really proud...

hell, I'm not sure I like her either. i been around the block, too. this is not a ball i would chase.

keep your powder dry, boys.

8:36 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

Nonee,

You're right. There plenty of ammo that can and will be used against Obama regarding the real issues.

9:06 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

Regarding the comments left here, I have, quite obviously, a liberal policy. I personally don't see the point in deleting someone's comment simply because they don't agree with my views. Calling someone an asshole or a bigot, as part of the typical bantering that blogs are famous for, is not enough for me to hit the delete button, either. We're all grown boys and girls here, and we should be able to handle the occasional flames thrown our way.

If the comment thread starts to become a flame-throwing fest, then that's when I lose my patience.

9:13 AM, February 21, 2008  
Blogger Rick said...

Robert: Thumbs up.

Leaving comments like the one George did only solidifies his place in the World of When You Have Nothing Else To Say, Say Something Stupid.

Plus, it's nothing he hasn't said before. Many times before. In fact, it's like a broken record.

I'm looking forward to a Obama/McCain election. It will be very interesting who their veeps turn out to be.

.

7:05 PM, February 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home