[freedomtowernight_edited.jpg] 26th Parallel: Father Alberto Followup

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Father Alberto Followup

Talk of Father Alberto's photos with a woman continues to be the talk of the town. This blog has had about 200 visits as of 10 PM tonight, about 3 times the average, most of them web engine searches for Father Alberto which stumbled onto my post yesterday. Many views have been expressed on all sides of the issue, a lot of them critical of the Catholic Church's dogma on celibate priests. Many others express sympathy for Father Alberto and blame the Church's "out of touch" and "unrealistic" stance on priestly celibacy for his misstep. Some are misguidedly drawing parallels to the pedophile priest scandal of a few years ago. Generation Miami has even started a petition to immediately restore Father Alberto to his positions in the Church.

As I stated in my previous post, I feel very bad about this. I feel bad that my faith has to go through another scandal in which it will be mercilessly and unfairly attacked. But I mostly feel bad for a good man such as Father Alberto, his parishioners and his legion of devoted followers for what they are all going through right now. Nevertheless, I feel we need to accept something: Father Alberto committed a big error. He broke his vow of celibacy. No matter how much we forgive him, and I do, we can't excuse what he did. I don't think Father Alberto himself does. Otherwise, how can WE hold ourselves accountable when we sin?

My only hope is that this issue is resolved in a respectful manner, one that respects and upholds the traditions of the Catholic Church and the many great accomplishments of Father Alberto.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I WOULD LIKE FATHER ALBERTO TO BE RESTORED TO HIS DUTIES AS WELL AS TO THIS SPACE IN RADIO PAZ WHICH IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT HIM. I USED TO HEAR THIS STATION WHILE DRIVING TO HOME FROM 5 TO 7 PM BUT SINCE HE IS NOT THERE I STOPPED HEARING THE STATION IS NOT THE SAME. I AM VERY SAD WITH THE DECLARATION OF ARZOBISPO FAVAROLA I EXPECTED SOMETHING MORE FOWERFUL ABOUT FATHER ALBERTO, WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THIS COMMUNITY, FOR THE POOR, FOR THE RICH, FOR THE YOUNG AND FOR THE OLD PEOPLE. WHAT THE CHURCH MUST DO IS LET THE FATHER MARRY. THANK YOU AND MY VOTE TO RESTORE FATHER ALBERTO TO ALL HIS DUTIES.

10:21 AM, May 07, 2009  
Blogger Fantomas said...

I see a few Cuban blogs, the so called leaders which have not taken a position on this issue

Gato encerrado , Robert

Por que sera?

Ummmmmmm

I received 5000 hits yesterday in my blog and many comments. Let me tell you Robert things do not look good for the Church. As for Padre Alberto. El pueblo esta con el

3:24 PM, May 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home